Yasaka Ramen

December 18, 2014

Yasaka Ramen has recently emerged into the ramen restaurant scene and I was very eager to try it. Their ramen noodles come served in three different tonkotsu (pork) broths: shoyu (soy sauce), shio (salt) or miso. I love tonkotsu ramen because of the richer flavour and thicker soup so I am a big fan of Gumshara.

Tonkotsu Miso Corn Ramen $15.80
I really enjoyed the consistency of the broth, it was thick but not like Gumshara thick so if you are not up for the salty collagen-filled goodness of Gumshara ramen then this would be a suitable alternative if you are craving tonkotsu ramen. The soft-boiled egg replete with an oozy yolk centre was delicious and the garnishing of corn had a subdued sweetness which paired well with the ramen. The chashu was really decent as it had good flavour and was soft and tender. My only gripe is that there was only one piece. Then we get to the noodles which were excellent, as they were soft but still had a good bite to them.


Tonkotsu Shoyu Ramen $14.80 + Extra Noodle $2.00
DT opted for shoyu ramen and you can tell from the photo that the broth is not as thick as the miso variant and we have yet to try the shio ramen. I personally prefer a thicker ramen broth so I enjoyed the miso one just a bit more. It is still a tonkotsu-based broth though so it was definitely not lacking in the flavour department. DT also ordered an extra bowl of noodles for $2.00 because you know, you can never have enough ramen.

Ikayaki $8.80
This was essentially a fried squid pancake drizzled with okonomiyaki/takoyaki sauce and Japanese mayonnaise. Apparently it is a dish that originated from Osaka however I did not see this in restaurants upon my visit to Japan so I was keen to try it. I was expecting the squid to be difficult to eat as it tends to be chewy but it was the exact opposite. It was slightly reminiscent to takoyaki in terms of flavour and texture but in pancake form. I would prefer to eat takoyaki but the ikayaki was not bad at all and is worth trying.

If you are a ramen lover like myself or just to want to indulge in a bowl of ramen then hit this place up because it is great. They have a variety of other Japanese dishes on their menu too which I am meaning to try.

Yasaka Ramen on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. enjoyed the ramen here and tried the ikayaki as well, thought it was quite nice! will definitely be back here in the cooler months

    ReplyDelete